- This event has passed.
Senator Merkley x Portland Peace Corps Association
October 15 @ 10:30 am - 11:30 am
Agenda for PPCA virtual meeting with Senator Jeff Merkley October 15th, 2020
1. Welcome Senator Merkely, frame of PPCA advocacy (Tabatha Rood)
- NPCA Advocacy and Portland Peace Corps Community
- PCVs are continual public servants, and should be respected for serving their country, with equivocal benefits to other types of service (education, health etc)
- Advocate for increased funding for national service opportunities like Peace Corps to fight systemic issues in American culture and change perceptions abroad
2. Introduction to the Portland Peace Corps Association (Phyllis Shelton and Bill Stein)
- History, members, and current programs
- Presence in Portland, Oregon, globally
3. PCV open storytelling
- Examples of poignant stories:
- Story from service of American cross cultural exchange, or returning from service – lessons taught about tolerance and understanding
- Story about Portland Peace Corps activity in Portland – third goal, continual service type (refugee program, grants, language)
- Stories from evacuated volunteers about living abroad and perhaps US perceptions abroad
4. PPCA’s hopes for the future
- Increased support for the Peace Corps volunteer projects as a means of national security and defense, both through cross cultural understanding and a method of improving conditions abroad to reduce stress of immigration and associated politics worldwide.
- Recognition of Peace Corps Volunteers through access to opportunity upon return, as well as coordinated efforts to engage in third-goal activities with more Americans
5. Thank you, closing statements, questions.
Pre-registration is required for this event, so please follow this link if you would like to participate, the more the merrier! REGISTER HERE and please let me know if you have a story to tell that would support our casual agenda below: