- This event has passed.
When Small is Big: Forest Initiatives Around the World (Not hosted by GlobalPDX)
July 19, 2017 @ 1:00 am - 6:00 am$20
Join us for a half day event exploring forest issues from around the world. Featuring the 2017 World Forest Institute International Fellows with special guest moderator Rainer Hummel and keynote speaker Dr. John Bliss, you will leave inspired by these stories of sustainable global solutions.
Wednesday, July 19
Registration at 8:00 am | Program 8:30 am – 1:00 pm
$20 Registration fee, includes catered lunch
8:00 – 8:30 am Registration
8:30 – 8:40 am Opening Remarks: Rainier Hummel
Rainer Hummel is a World Forest Institute Alumnus (Germany, 1995) and currently a Forest Practices District Manager for the Washington Department of Natural Resources.
8:40 – 9:00 am Keynote Speaker: Dr. John Bliss
Me, You, and the Monkeys in the Forest! Dr. John Bliss is Emeritus Professor in the College of Forestry at Oregon State University. He is recently retired as Associate Dean for International Programs at OSU and has a long history of international forestry experience.
9:00 – 10:30 am Session 1: Forestry in a Changing Climate: Unique Solutions to Difficult Problems
Four presentations from across the globe on challenges and their inspiring solutions.
- Shreejita Basu: Water Crisis in India
- Binod Heyojoo: Wildfires in Nepal
- Sawako Tanaka: Greenhouse Gas Monitoring in Japan
- Oscar Hernandez: Climate Change Adaptation in Guatemala
10:30 – 10:50 am Morning Break
10:50 – 11:45 am Session 2: Panel Discussion: Conservation Challenges Around the World
Moderated by Rainer Hummel, this panel will discuss how ideals of forest conservation and management are different with each unique cultural perspective and what some of the conservation challenges are in each of their respective countries.
- Chiao-Ping Wang: Can Taiwan produce more of its own timber?
- Michelle Yap: What are alternate revenue streams in Malaysian forest reserves?
- Hebe Carus: Is multi-ownership, landscape-level forest management possible in Scotland?
- Jan Jenco: How does cooperation work when there are competing priorities in Slovakia?
11:45 – noon Closing Remarks: Dr. John Bliss and Rainier Hummel
Noon – 1:00 pm Lunch Reception
World Forestry Center
4033 SW Canyon Rd., Portland, OR 97221